Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving



My Thanksgiving this year was superb. Some Americans decided to get a game of football together at 8:00 am Thanksgiving morning, which meant waking up shortly after 7:00 am. When I got up it was cold and rainy outside. "No one in their right mind is going to go meet at Jesus Green in this weather," I thought to myself. Wait a minute, it's always rainy and chilly, and who in the right mind would stay in bed when the first annual Cambridge Turkey Bowl was about to commence with a bunch of crazy Americans. Three hours later, 10 guys and two gals were caked in mud, sore in parts of their body they didn't know could get soar, and happy to be celebrating Thanksgiving with old and brand new friends.



For lunch, some of us went to the University sponsored Thanksgiving formal lunch for Americans, and some of us (who didn't get tickets before the deadline) went to Pizza Hut for the all you can eat lunch buffet. I missed the deadline to get tickets but I was able to pin one down just in the nick of time.

The Thanksgiving lunch had to be the most unusual Thanksgiving food I've ever eaten (and remember I haven't had Thanksgiving turkey in years). The vegetarian meal was a spinach pie slice covered in marinara sauce with a side of sauteed leeks. For desert, three pieces of pie -- pumpkin, pecan, and cherry. The three deserts more than made up for the weirdness of the main entree.

After my last environmental economics class of the term finished, I got ready for another fine Thanksgiving meal (without the American theme) at Girton's formal hall. Since graduate students get free formal meals every thursday at Girton, I decided to skip one of the Union debates, and take my friend to formal hall. It was a wise choice. The dinner included a pre-dinner sherry social with other graduate students, and a post dinner hour (or half hour) of port.

All in all, it was a great day, and while I missed the family and friends back home I was thankful for the new friends and family that I have here.

1 Comments:

Blogger henry said...

right on brother. sounds like you are having a good time out there. great reading about your exploits, i wish you the best on that side of the pond. till our paths cross again,
-henry

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home